Friday, January 6, 2012

The Cost of Education

Education is so expensive.  Or rather, receiving an education through an academic institution is expensive.  There are plenty of things we can educate ourselves on that cost little to nothing.  Just having access to a library ups your educational ability.  However, obtaining an education overseas comes with a lot of expenses I've discovered.



1.)  Before I can even get to Japan I have to dish out an application fee for applying to the school ($25).  Fortunately, I checked and found out that I won't have to pay a fee for applying for a visa, and I already have a valid passport so I don't need to worry about that.

2.)  Then, if I am accepted, I'll need to pay for tuition ($4581) and textbooks ($60).

3.)  In order to pay for tuition I'll need to apply for scholarships.  While these don't  come with fees they do take time and effort.  There's a saying that says "time is money", so while I may not be spending money, I'm spending time ($everal hour$).

4.)  Finally, I'll need to pay for airfare in order to get over there and back.  At this time and date, the cheapest flight I can find is $2218.97 and it will only go up from there the longer I wait to buy the tickets.

That brings my total to a whopping $6,884.97, and that doesn't even factor in souvenirs, pocket money, or the rising cost in airfare.

Fortunately, summer scholarship applications are opening up around this time (except for one I've found that opens in March) and I've found a couple good ones.  The start of the new year means it's time to crack the whip and get down to business, not only on the applications but also on my academic and Japanese studies.  There's no time for slacking off, especially now.  Not if I want to get to Japan, the land of the rising sun, where my adventures await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment