Saturday, April 22, 2017

Preparation Anxiety

As April draws to a close, I am suddenly struck with the realization that I have so much to do in the next three months to prepare to leave.  The most daunting task for me is all of the stuff I currently have.  Many JETs are people fresh out of college who have yet to move out of their parent's house, and, so long as their family is willing, they can just leave everything in their rooms at home and pack up and go.  Since I live by myself, I have the unfortunate task of dealing with all my earthly possessions that I can't take to Japan with me.  I do have a coworker who is willing to buy my bed and bookshelves off of me so that is a blessing. The rest of my stuff I will either have to sell, donate, or put in storage. I don't want to put a lot of stuff in storage because I don't want to pay a lot of money each month for a huge storage unit. 

The most difficult thing for me to get rid of is going to be my car, Patty, I think. She's a 2002 PT Cruiser with some cosmetic damages and over 160,000 miles on her. She still runs well and has had a lot of work done in the past year, so it's not that she's a bad car, she's just old and has taken some hits.  I worry that I won't have enough time because I don't know how long it takes to sell a car, and I don't want to leave it unresolved when I go to Japan. That and I could use the money as part of my startup costs since I won't be getting a paycheck for a month after I get there.  Fortunately one of the members of my church said to talk to them before I sell her, so I hope he's of some help. 

I'll just have to take it one day at a time. The first step I'll need to take, however, is going to be obtaining boxes. I just moved last year and thought I was through with boxes and moving. I think I just got rid of some a few months ago, too.  I'm sure I can find some somewhere. If not I can always buy them. Either way, it will be an adventure, and this is just the beginning to my new adventure in the land of the rising sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment