Thursday, August 2, 2012

Laundry/Packing Prequel

One thing I've had to get used to while living in Japan is a new system of laundry.  Yes, there is a washing machine, but there is no dryer so everything must be hung on the patio to dry.  It was a little annoying at first because that's more work for me to do in the laundry department.  It means I have to take each individual article of clothing out of the washing machine and either clip it up or put it on a hanger then take it to the patio to dry.  However, I've gotten used to it and it's sort of become a ritual.  In the morning before school, I can toss a load in the washing machine, wait for about an hour for the clothes to get washed, and then take them out to the patio.  Then, when I come back from class usually the clothes are dry and if not, then they are definitely dry by evening.  Heck, I don't even have to do laundry in the morning.  It's so hot at night that if I put laundry out at night it's dry by morning.

One of the downsides is that air drying clothes just isn't the same as machine drying.  Since the heat is unregulated it leaves my clothes not as soft as if they had gone through the dryer.  Though, I guess it doesn't really matter if it ends up dry in the end.  They are not uncomfortable or anything.  They just feel different.

I know this was kindda a short post, but it was something that came to mind while I was packing.  I really don't want to take my laundry detergent back with me so I am washing EVERYTHING just so I can get rid of it.  I don't need the extra stuff in my suitcases on the way back.  My carry on is already almost full of souvenirs.  The more I can fit in there, the less I have to put in my suitcases that might weight them down.  I'm really not trying to go over the weight limit because I bought too much stuff.  Although, I've honestly not bought too much because of this.  I've seen pictures of all the stuff my classmates bought and I know one of them said he might have to mail some back to America.

Anyways, yeah, I've started packing.  It's kindda sad.  But I've got exams and stuff.

I'm done typing now (in the land of the rising sun).

2 comments: